Re: HP Pavillion n5270

On Wed, Apr 04, 2001 at 12:36:24PM -0500, John R. Sheets wrote:
> I've only tried playing a couple MP3's so far, mainly because I
> haven't figured out how to change the sound volume yet.  Does anyone
> know how to do that?  Do you need mixer support compiled into the
> kernel (and if so, which kernel option?), or are there userspace
> volume apps?

 apt-get install aumix
 If aumix doesn't do it, then you're probably out of luck.  However, you
could try alsa, in case it has better support.  http://alsa-project.org/

> Another issue I have with the maestro3 driver is that depmod -a keeps
> complaining about unresolved symbols.  I suppose I may have compiled
> it against the wrong kernel source tree or something.  However, since
> it loads and runs, I haven't been motivated enough to dig any deeper.

 The unresolved symbols must be in a module you haven't tried to load yet.
When you try, insmod will refuse to load it.  (And no, you can't override it
or something, for good reason.  The only way it could "override" would be to
load broken code into the kernel.  This is not the same as trying to load a
module from a different kernel version.)

 2.4.x on powerpc has a lot of problems with some parts of the tree.  Maybe
some of these are present on IA32 as well.  Stuff like the enhanced RTC
driver (used to? don't remember if it's working yet) would break the compile
if you said Y in the config, or not load if you compiled it as a module.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y