Re: HP Pavillion n5270

On Apr 04, 2001, Bill Shui <wshui@mail.usyd.edu.au> wrote:

> Has anyone got this model working under debian?
>
> I'm not sure about the mini-pci modem/ethernet
> and the sound.
>
> are they supported?

Not sure about the 5270, but I've had some success with my Pavilion
5195.  AFAIK, the modem is hopeless, for now, but I did get the
ethernet port working with a hacked-up tulip driver.  I think those
drivers are linked from http://www.linux-laptop.net/ on the
laptop page for the N5190.  Or maybe it's one of the other Pavilion
models there.

I also got the sound working with the Maestro3 drivers, also linked
from the same web page that has the tulip driver.  Hmm, this might be
the Maestro3 driver home page:

  http://www.math.u-bordeaux.fr/~depouill/XE3/

I've only tried playing a couple MP3's so far, mainly because I
haven't figured out how to change the sound volume yet.  Does anyone
know how to do that?  Do you need mixer support compiled into the
kernel (and if so, which kernel option?), or are there userspace
volume apps?

Another issue I have with the maestro3 driver is that depmod -a keeps
complaining about unresolved symbols.  I suppose I may have compiled
it against the wrong kernel source tree or something.  However, since
it loads and runs, I haven't been motivated enough to dig any deeper.

John

--
dusk@ravendusk.org                            http://www.gnome.org
jsheets@codeweavers.com                  http://www.worldforge.org