Re: ailing gpm - tp380ED

On Thu, 29 Mar 2001, Chris Waters wrote:

> OTOH, from earlier msgs in this thread, I gather there may be some minor
> advantages to using a repeater, even if you don't need it, so I guess it
> comes down to a matter of taste.  Use the repeater if you need it, or if
> you just want to.  (Which replaces my old advice: use the repeater only
> if you really need it.)
>
> Anyway, bottom line, I just want to emphasize that gpm and X do NOT
> conflict, even WITHOUT the repeater, except, well, except when they do.
> Advising *everyone* to remove gpm or set up the repeater is not
> necessary -- only those people who are having problems (or who want the
> features the repeater offers) should set up the repeater or purge gpm.

Unless you don't use the console at all I would recommend using gpm in
repeater mode. If nothing else because  you have to configure your mouse
only once. You can setup X with a standard MouseSystems three button
mouse on /dev/gpmdata in any case. And if you change from PS/2 to a serial
mouse or vice versa, you just run gpmconfig and are done.

--
Manfred Wassmann
PGP and GnuPG public keys available at http://germany.keyserver.net