ailing gpm - tp380ED

  Dear all,
I just managed to install my Debian2.2 on my
thinkpad380ED, and this is happenning: my mouse went
crazy and I fixed it, somewhat, by (after reading the
man pages) running the command - "gpm -k" (the
"killall gpm" worked also, but the window console in
Gnome started multiplying every time I'd click the
left mouse button). My question is - what is the
ailment? How to cure it? (It doesn't go away with
rebooting).
  Next one: is there any way I can run CD-ROM's meant
for Windows on Debian? (I really miss my talking
dictionary, or  - is there one for Linux?).
  Thanks, sincerely - Mr. Jan Hearthstone.