Re: no sound with kernel 2.4.2

On Mon, Mar 19, 2001 at 10:34:02AM +0100, christophe barbe wrote:
> Hi I've the same problem with Opl3sa2 and kernel 2.4.2.
> I have seen threads about that in the kernel mailing list.
> Currently I use alsa which works great and is certainly a good solution.
> IMHO the OSS ccode in the kernel are going to be replaced by alsa.

Sounds promising :)

But if you have to stick with the OSS drivers, there was a thread on
debian-laptop a couple of weeks ago, which described the options Opl3sa2
might need, along with a bug fix for the module in 2.4.2.

> > gom   ERROR: Can't open mixer device special file "/dev/mixer": No such
> > gom:  device. Error help: if loading a mixer special file leads to "No
> > such
> > gom:  device", then you most likely do have the kernel sound driver
> > gom:   not or incorrectly installed. "Permission denied" means you
> > gom:   need  permissions by the local admin in the first place.
> > gom:
> > But there is a file named /dev/mixer !!!!
> > crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,   0 Jul  5  2000 mixer
> > crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,  16 Jul  5  2000 mixer1
> > crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,  32 Jul  5  2000 mixer2
> > crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,  48 Jul  5  2000 mixer3

Note how this device is owned by group "audio".  Are you a member of the
audio group?

Apart from that, and the discussions in the thread I mentioned above, I also
had to add to /etc/modutils/sound (ie to /etc/modules.conf):

alias char-major-14 opl3sa2
post-install opl3sa2 modprobe "-k" "opl3"
alias sound-slot-0 opl3sa2
alias synth0 opl3
options opl3 io=0x388
options -k opl3sa2 isapnp=0 io=0x538 mss_io=0x530 mpu_io=0x330 irq=5 dma=1 \
   dma2=0 ymode=2 loopback=0    [this and the previous line is all one line]
post-install opl3 /usr/bin/aumix -L

I guess it might be the first of these lines that most concerns your problem.

Drew

--
PGP public key available at http://dparsons.webjump.com/drewskey.txt
Fingerprint: A110 EAE1 D7D2 8076 5FE0  EC0A B6CE 7041 6412 4E4A