no sound with kernel 2.4.2

Hi everybody,

I just compiled the 2.4.2 kernel. Everything is working fine except  for

the sound. Under kernel 2.2.17 I had this is my /etc/modules:
sound
mpu401
ad1848
opl3sa2
opl3
options opl3sa2 dma=1 dma2=0 io=0x538 mpu_io=0x330 mss_io=0x530 irq=7
options opl3 io=0x388

I used gom as the mixer. When I booted the 2.4.2 kernel (witeh the same
/etc/modules) and tried to play a song I got this:
"Cannot open audio device. Please make sure that the audio device is
properly configured."

And when I try to use gom I get this:

gom   ERROR: Can't open mixer device special file "/dev/mixer": No such
gom:  device. Error help: if loading a mixer special file leads to "No
such
gom:  device", then you most likely do have the kernel sound driver
gom:   not or incorrectly installed. "Permission denied" means you
gom:   need  permissions by the local admin in the first place.
gom:
gom: Current channel information
gom: ---------------------------
gom:
gom:     No Name       Rec  Volumes  Vol-0  Vol-1  Locked
gom:      0.vol        -1     -1       -1     -1     1
But there is a file named /dev/mixer !!!!
crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,   0 Jul  5  2000 mixer
crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,  16 Jul  5  2000 mixer1
crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,  32 Jul  5  2000 mixer2
crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,  48 Jul  5  2000 mixer3
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           10 Mar 15 18:51 modem ->
/dev/ttyS3
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            5 Oct 28 23:51 mouse -> psaux
When I compiled the kernel I selected everything that was under "sound"
to be compiled as a module. Also when I try to load these modules by
hand (insmod mpu401, etc...) it
doesn't give an error.... I have no clue why this doesn't work! When I
boot the 2.2.17 kernel
everything works just great. Here is what I get when I use gom under
2.2.17:

user1@laptop:~ gom -t
gom:
gom: Current channel information
gom:
gom:     No Name       Rec  Volumes  Vol-0  Vol-1  Locked
gom:      0.vol        -1      2       75     75     1
user1@laptop:~
BTW I'm on a Toshiba Tecra 8000 Laptop.

Help is very much appreciated!
TIA!