Re: quality of postscript display

>   Hello,
>
>   debian-guide and other debian-supplied .ps files display well for
> me. I use 2.2r2 too. What fonts do you have installed? I have :
>
> etienne@anonimo: dpkg -l "*font*" | grep -v "<none>"
> | Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
> |/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
> ||/ Name           Version        Description
> +++-==============-==============-============================================
> ii  freefont       0.10-8         Freeware font selection for X11
> ii  gsfonts        5.10a-2        Fonts for the ghostscript interpreter

surely you also have gsfonts-x11 so that these fonts have actually been
made available to X as well ?

> ii  sharefont      0.10-7         Shareware font selection for X11
> ii  xfonts-100dpi  3.3.6-2        100 dpi fonts for X
> ii  xfonts-75dpi   3.3.6-2        75 dpi fonts for X
> ii  xfonts-base    3.3.6-2        standard fonts for X
> rc  xfonts-cjk     3.3.6-1        basic Chinese, Japanese, and Korean fonts fo
> ii  xfonts-cyrilli 3.3.6-2        Cyrillic fonts for X
> ii  xfonts-pex     3.3.6-2        fonts for minimal PEX support in X
> rc  xfonts-scalabl 3.3.6-1        scalable fonts for X

If you add xfonts-jmk you get a couple more nice fonts that are good for
monospace things.

I can't comment further as to how beautiful or not things should be just
using the packages, because both my laptop and home workstation also have
a batch of extra TTF fonts and ttf font services.  But getting those URW
fonts (for ghostscript) made available to X is really important, since
they are metric equivalents to fonts considered normal in That Other OS.

* Heather Stern * star@ many places...