Hot keys on HP Pavilion

I'm trying to get my hot keys to respond on my HP Pavilion. There's a mail key,
a www key, a help key, and a misc key.  I've tried xev and scankey -s and
neither shows any response to keypresses on those buttons.  I'm willing to do
some coding to get them to work eventually, but am at a loss for where to start
looking to start that process.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Do You Yahoo!?