x configuration on sony vaio

hello. i just installed debian 2.2 on my sony vaio pcg-sr1k. installation
was succesful and i can boot with lilo without any problems. i haven't been
able to set up x though. i used to have suse7 on this computer and i've kept
the config file. back then i used the command-line program xf86config to
set-up x, but that program is not to be found on my debian cd and i haven't
been able to install my pcmcia-ethernet-card yet (i am still new to linux
and i do miss yast a lot! ;-) so basically what i would like to do is:

-configure x manually (or alternatively get xf86config for debian): i've got
a XF86Config that works with my notebook...is it enough to put it into /etc
and do startx, or do i have to do something else first? and are there any
special packages i need to install in order to run x?

-install my pcmcia-ethernet card...how does that work? i am lost!

right, i hope those are not terribly stupid questions, but as i said...i'm
still getting to know linux and slowly realising that suse's yast did most
of the installation for me last time ;-)

thanks in advance!
best,

-amael