Re: Dell Inspiron 8000

Hola~

>-- On Thu, Mar 08, 2001 at 11:47:49PM +0000, % wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 08, 2001 at 01:49:53PM -0800, Michael O'Brien wrote:
> >
> >I don't think it uses the 3Com 3c556. The Mobilix web page has you search thru
> >/proc/pci to determine which 3Com device. For me, the ethernet device is:
> >
> >    Ethernet controller: Intel 82557 (rev 8)
> >
> >There's no mention of a Device or Vendor id, which are mentioned on Mobilix
> >page. I believe the built-in port on a Dell is a Xircom RealPort card. The
> >RealPort uses the ne driver according to:
> >
> >    http://lhd.datapower.com/db/dispdriver.php3?DISP?88
> >
> >However, I'm not having much luck getting insmod to take the ne driver. It
> >bails out with unresolved symbols (ei_open, ethdev_init, NS8390_init, etc...).
>
> 2 problems:
>
> the ne driver depends on the 8390 driver. Either insmod that first, or
> (the more intelligent way) use modprobe instead - it will determine
> dependencies for you and install 8390 first.
>
> the 82557 is NOT an ne2000 clone - it's an Intel Etherexpress Pro
> 10/100 - use the eepro100 driver instead.

Is there a web page that maps chipsets to drivers? How does one know that if
the Ethernet controller is an Intel 82557 then one should use the eepro100?

MO

    (snip) 8<----

--
Michael O'Brien                                                         Tools
Pixar                                                       mobrien@pixar.com

VIZZINI: You fell victim to one of the classic blunders. The most famous is
         never get involved in a land war in Asia. But only slightly less
         well-known is this: never go in against a Sicilian when death is on
         the line. Ha ha ha ha ha ha. Ha ha ha ha ha--