Re: Dell Inspiron 8000

Hola~

>-- On Thu, Mar 08, 2001 at 03:56:19PM -0500, % wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 08, 2001 at 10:17:14AM -0800, Michael K. O'Brien wrote:
> > Hola~
> >
> > I've got a Dell Inspiron 8000. It's got a built in network adapter. Anyone
> > know what it takes to get that thing to work? I've been unsuccessfully paging
> > thru the laptop HOWTO.
>
> You laptop uses the 3Com 3c556 miniPCI NIC.  Check out
> http://mobilix.org/minipci_linux.html for more information.  The Linux
> on Laptops page in general is a great resource.  It appears to have been
> redesigned, also. (http://www.linux-laptop.net).

I don't think it uses the 3Com 3c556. The Mobilix web page has you search thru
/proc/pci to determine which 3Com device. For me, the ethernet device is:

    Ethernet controller: Intel 82557 (rev 8)

There's no mention of a Device or Vendor id, which are mentioned on Mobilix
page. I believe the built-in port on a Dell is a Xircom RealPort card. The
RealPort uses the ne driver according to:

    http://lhd.datapower.com/db/dispdriver.php3?DISP?88

However, I'm not having much luck getting insmod to take the ne driver. It
bails out with unresolved symbols (ei_open, ethdev_init, NS8390_init, etc...).

MO

--
Michael O'Brien                                                         Tools
Pixar                                                       mobrien@pixar.com

VIZZINI: You fell victim to one of the classic blunders. The most famous is
         never get involved in a land war in Asia. But only slightly less
         well-known is this: never go in against a Sicilian when death is on
         the line. Ha ha ha ha ha ha. Ha ha ha ha ha--