Re: Friendliest Laptop??

On Mon, Mar 05, 2001 at 09:45:00PM -0800, Heather wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 05, 2001 at 08:39:19PM -0800, Heather wrote:
> > > Vendors right off the top of my head:  Ascentia (sp?), Imperial, Kachinatech
> > > (but the model they sell is far slower than you want), Dell if you twist
> > > their arm, ARM Computer.  I'm sure there are a few more, maybe I'll bother
> > > to look at the hardware howto and narrow it down sometime.
> >
> >  Apple makes laptops that run debian-powerpc quite nicely, but are pretty
> > pricey :(  Good battery life and no noisy power-sucking fans though.
> >
> >  Ascentia was a line of laptops made by AST.  AST is out of business now.
> > Good thing, too, according to this tremendously pissed off customer:
> > http://www.netppl.fi/~findians/paper.html
>
> The Ascentias are still listed in LAPTOP magazine's chart this last month.
> Unless someone else took up the product line, this company failure was recent?

 Hmm, I guess they must still be around.  I thought I read that somewhere,
but I guess I must have mis-remembered.  Maybe it was just one product line
that they stopped making.  Also, the fact that AST sends you off to
http://ast.com/Quick_Support_Guide.htm for support gave the impression that
they weren't up to much anymore.  Anyway, I guess they're still around,
since the page says:

   NOTE:

      Prior to February 1999, all AST brand products were manufactured and
      sold by AST Research, Inc., which is now providing support under the
      business name ARI Service (www.ari-service.com).

      After January 1999, all AST brand products were manufactured and sold
      by AST Computers, LLC, which provides support under the business name
      AST (www.ast.com).

 Maybe they just made a big change (and hopefully got rid of the crap
described http://www.netppl.fi/~findians/paper.html!).

 Well, I don't know what's really going on, so I'll stop rambling now.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y