Re: Friendliest Laptop??

On Mon, Mar 05, 2001 at 08:39:19PM -0800, Heather wrote:
> Vendors right off the top of my head:  Ascentia (sp?), Imperial, Kachinatech
> (but the model they sell is far slower than you want), Dell if you twist their
> arm, ARM Computer.  I'm sure there are a few more, maybe I'll bother to
> look at the hardware howto and narrow it down sometime.

 Apple makes laptops that run debian-powerpc quite nicely, but are pretty
pricey :(  Good battery life and no noisy power-sucking fans though.

 Ascentia was a line of laptops made by AST.  AST is out of business now.
Good thing, too, according to this tremendously pissed off customer:
http://www.netppl.fi/~findians/paper.html

 I don't know if all AST laptops suck as much as this guy says they do, but
my AST Ascentia 810N is, um, ok.  It has a nice trackball, not a little
mouse nipple in the middle of the keyboard, and it runs cool enough to be
called a laptop (even for people wearing shorts :).  The biggest problem is
that I can't upgrade the RAM past 20MB :(  I got it for only 300 $ last
year, so I'd say it's worth it.

 Anyway, you [Yannick] might want to consider a used laptop unless you have
a good reason for needing an 800MHz Pentium III.  You can get a pretty good
machine for a whole lot less than you'd pay for a new one.  My next laptop
will probably be a powerpc or an AMD K6-2 (or some other K6-* processor).

 If you ever need to seriously crunch anything, just ssh to a powerful
desktop box.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y