detect wrong processor speed?

has anyone had this problem?  with kernel 2.4.1 and up (i think for kernel 2.4.0 too, can't remember) on my thinkpad 600x my kernel reports:

	Detected 172.927 MHz processor.

although i know it's a 650MHz processor and is detected as such under 2.2.18pre22?  it feels to me to be running at the proper speed, but with linux's awesome multitasking capabilities, maybe i just can't tell ;-)  anyway, i haven't compiled the tpctl modules or installed them, so i haven't played with the fact that the kernel is reporting some speedstepped speed, and i'm not running full speed.

is this a common bug that i should ignore, or am i running under speed?

nathanp.