Re: IBM Thinkpad A21p

Frank Rudolf Georg Petzold wrote:

On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 09:37:48PM +1300, Andrew McMillan wrote:
I'm looking to purchase one of these, because I just can't go past that
1600x1200 LCD (and I don't know of any other laptops that match that. Indeed I haven't found more than a couple that go past 1024x768.

I am running debian/testing on an A20p. The screen size is 1400x1050, and
thet is the same for the A21p, isn't ti? (Resolution is 116 dpi)

No, the A21p 15'' monitor runs best at 1600x1200.
Running debian/potato, I had to install XFree 4.0.2 from
http://people.debian.org/%7Ecpbotha/
to get it working, but have had no trouble since.

Does anyone here have any experience with running Linux (particularly
Debian, of course) on such a beast?

Yes, I'm running debian/potato (mainly, see above) and
everything I've tried to get to work so far, works.
(I haven't tried to get the modem or sound working,
but I've seen web-pages claiming to have get it to work.
See http://www.linuxcare.com/labs/certs/pada21p.epl)
I'm currently collecting my experiences on
"http://www.maths.lth.se/matstat/staff/finn/linux/a21p.html";.
Not much there right now, but check back in a few hours... :-)

Looks like I might be able to buy it with one of:
	10/100 mini-PCI "EtherJet" with Modem (Lucent?)
	10/100 mini-PCI "Ethernet" with Modem (3com)
	10/100 mini-PCI "EtherJet" with Modem (Intel)

Why? It has builtin modem and ethernet. Both work fine an my A20p. But AFAIK
the modem is a different one in the A21p.

Not all A21p:s have modem and ethernet built-in. My A21p
has a modem (don't know if it's built-in or PCI), but
the ethernet is an "IBM 10/100 EtherJet Cardbus Adapter"
PCMCIA card. (This card needs some config fiddling to work
in debian/potato, see my message on the tread
"Re: update: PCMCIA "make all" errors" on this list).

Finn Lindgren

--
Finn Lindgren (finn@maths.lth.se)