Re: ssh2 and non-stable

On Fri, Feb 23, 2001 at 05:52:28PM -0500, brew@theMode.com wrote:

> Heather and the list.....
>
> > *Now* I'll try to answer the right question :D
> >
> >    a) unstable's 'ssh' is OpenSSH, deb version 1:2.3.0p1-1.13
> >       testing's 'ssh' is OpenSSH, deb version 1:1.2.3-9.2
> > 		not good enough to stick with testing :(
>
> Actually I didn't install the unstable ssh package, I installed the
> unstable ssh2 package.  It didn't complain about and load any other
> packages that I could tell, although maybe I missed it in my inexperience.
>
> It connects OK to the SSH2 machine I needed to connect to, both ssh and
> sftp, so I got my immediate gratification.  I'd sure like to figure out
> how to configure it to do both SSH2 and downgrade to SSH1 automatically
> and I'd be set.
>
> When I do a ssh -V:
>
> ssh:  SSH Version 2.0.13
>
> Don't know if that is openSSH, but I think so.

ssh2 is the "commercial" (non-free) version.  ssh is the free version (i.e.
OpenSSH).  I got real confused about the difference too.  The (commercial)
ssh author has a point, in his recent complaints about trademark confusion.
Although really in our case it's Debian that's at fault, not OpenSSH, since
we're the ones calling the package ssh instead of openssh.

Anyway, I run ssh from unstable.  ssh -V says:
SSH Version OpenSSH_2.3.0p1, protocol versions 1.5/2.0.
Compiled with SSL (0x0090600f).

and the man page has a whole section talking about "SSH protocol version 2".
So sounds to me what you really want is ssh from unstable, rather than ssh2.

Drew

--
PGP public key available at http://dparsons.webjump.com/drewskey.txt
Fingerprint: A110 EAE1 D7D2 8076 5FE0  EC0A B6CE 7041 6412 4E4A