Re: installing debian from iomega zip (ppa)

Can't help you on much.
Debian 2.2 probably runs fine, don't install too much crap on it cause 8mb
of ram isn't that much (note: swap should be at least twice your
ram-size).
ftp.debian.org/pub/debian/dists/potato/main/disks-i386/ (if I'm
correct) holds install-images on floppy-images
mirrors are at ftp://uk.debian.org
ftp.sunsite.unc.edu/Mirrors/ftp.debian.org/
ftp.sunsite.doc.ic.ac.uk/Mirrors/ftp.debian.org/
And some others.
Teh base-system is about 30mb, I think the most small one like compat or
idepci will do nicely.
check http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/ for some extra info and the Debian
install-notes have info on installing on low-memory computers as well.
Now the ftp-sites or paths in them may be incorrect, I'm citing this from
emory.

Hope it helps a bit