Re: Back to Windows??

Hello Andreas,

On Tuesday 20 February 2001 04:45, Andreas Mohr wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 19, 2001 at 08:12:09PM +0100, Hans Verschoor and Jennie Kohsiek
wrote:

	If not, what is the Linux mission then ?

> We've seen a lot of evidence of people running their
> "stable simple server machine"s lately...
> (can you spell "Ramen" ?)
>
> That said, for all the difficulty and the amount of time spent on
> configuration, I still rather use Linux than Windows, in order to
> preserve my freedom.

	That is getting a stale taste by now. What is "freedom" worth if it forces
	you to put so many efforts in tuning and maintaining a system.

> > > Don't forget that a computer is just a tool.  If you need all your
> > > hardware, use the preinstalled OS.  If you also need some of the GNU
> > > tools (tar,awk, ...) install Cygwin, or dual boot.
> >
> > Hans:
> > Right on !
> > Linux should not be a cult, but I think it is by now .....
>
> Not entirely incorrect ;-)

	Suprised ?

> > > My testimonial:  I got my laptop in Jan,1999 (an ARM TS759.  ARM is
> > > very linux friendly and even offers preinstalled RedHat.  I
> > > specifically asked about Linux before buying).  My NIC (a generic
> > > 10baseT) was supported off the bat.  It took about 6 mos for the
> > > soundcard driver to make it into the stable kernel.  I would still use
> > > Windows regularly.  Eventually my windows use was only for games and
> > > all my work was done in Linux.  Finally I got bored of the games.  The
> > > last time I booted into windows was 6 mos ago, and last week I got rid
> > > of the last fat partition on my disk.
> >
> > Hans:
> > Mine: I got an all Linux compatible hardware set, because I checked all
> > components before. Got Debian 2.2.18pre21 and the result: I can't print
> > on a HP2100 (mentioned to be "perfect" for Linux), I can't tar to a DI-30
> > tapestreamer (proudly declared: "Linux certified" by the manufacturer),
> > I'm doubtful if my network will work and it will probable take another
> > year before I get my ADSL modem working. I will install W2000 in the days
> > to come and if everything works: "bye bye Linux".
>
> Oh, so you used a development kernel and wondered why the hell
> nothing works ?
> Now that's tough ;-)
>
> (that comment is not entirely serious, though)

	I would think so. As for the printer, it is gs causing the trouble ( I tried
	CUPSYS: commands "hang" until interrupted by ctrl-c or 'kill' ) and as for
	the streamer, it was said that it would be settled in the first release
	after 2.2.16.