high power consumption on a T20

Hi all

I have recently noticed that my power consumtion on my T20 is about
twice as high as windoze.  With a full charged (new) battery and using
an external monitor, linux thinks that I have about 1:45 hours of
computing time.  Under nt I get something like 3:45!

Has anyone else noticed this?  Is it a) linux? b) apmd (I am using woody
and 2.2.17--hopefully with all the correct options)?

My memory (faulty at best) recalls that I use to get much better times
that this...but I don't know what change I have made could have lead to
these problems.  I have hunted through the docs/faqs etc, but I can't
see anything particularly relevent.

Would upgrading to 2.4.0-testX would be a good idea?

thanks for any help

Richard
begin:vcard
n:Black;Richard
tel;fax:416-971-4159
tel;home:
tel;work:416-217-4350
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
org:Algorithmics Inc
adr:;;185 Spadina Avenue;Toronto;Ontario;M5T 2C6;Canada
version:2.1
email;internet:rblack@algorithmics.com
title:Financial Engineer
x-mozilla-cpt:;-18400