Re: /home replication on laptop

Christian Rehn <rehn@informatik.tu-muenchen.de> writes:

> Jack McKinney writes:
>  > Big Brother tells me that Christian Rehn wrote:
>  > > Joseph Schlecht writes:
>  > >
>  > > I use catchup (http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~neilb/oss/catchup/) to
>  > > synchronize my home on the laptop with my home on the PC at work.
>  > > This allows me to modify files on both homes and later synchronize
>  > > them.  Instead of just deleting the old version of a file catchup may
>  > > also save the old file in a special directory.  If the same file is
>  > > modified on both computers catchup does not overwrite the
>  > > modifications but renames one by adding the extension .alt so you can
>  > > solve the conflict manually.
>  > >
>  > > You may also use rsync or rdist but this allows you only to propagate
>  > > modifications from one PC to another without the advantages of
>  > > catchup.
>  >
>  >      Actually, rsync does have options to save files instead of deleting
>  > them by backing them up to special directory or by adding an extension
>  > to them.
>
> That's right, you can avoid the deletion of files but rsync does only
> work in one direction.  Assume you modify file x on host A and file y
> on host B.  If you rsync from A to B you would only get x on host B
> and nothing on A, if you rsync from B to A you get y on host A but not
> x on B.
>
> Catchup compares md5 checksums and modification times and if you
> "catchup A and B" you wold get a copy of x on host B and a copy of y
> on host A.  This is the advantage of catchup I mentioned.
>
> Cheers,
> Christian

Another way to do the home account sync is to put everything in
it in CVS, and have one central CVS repository to syncronize
with. It will also handle the problem where files get updated
from two different ways quite nicely.

Regards
Torbjörn Pettersson               #   DN Data
Email: tobbe@noc.dn.se            #   Gjörwellsgatan 30
Phone: +46 8 5063 80 42           #   S - 105 15 Stockholm, Sweden