Re: hard disk drive

No i didn't roll out my own kernel. i have the 2.2.18pre21 kernel, which
came with the debian potato 2.2 dist that i downloaded, so all the
modules/drivers etc are loaded when the machine boots..

i have generic SCSI enabled and as far as the IDE hard drive goes....
there is no luck yet. the kernel doesn't recogise it at all!! it doesn't
see the IDE hard-disk, although the kernel sees other devices like the
PS/2 port on the dock....

i haven't had a chance to go into the BIOS, for the simple reason that I
have not been able to!! I dont know what key combination my lap-top uses
to go into the BIOS... its an archaic Compaq LTE Elite ... and the compaq
tech-support isnt too helpfull either, probably this model was there in
the market when the tech-support guy was in high-school!!

ok thanks for all the nice things here, hopefully we can solve the IDE
hard-disk problem once i figure out how to get  into the BIOS of the
lap-top.

Praveen Kamath