Re: Stolen laptop - how to increase security?

Am Don, Jan 04, 2001 at 04:57:03 +0100 schrieb Jérôme Lacoste:

> Here's what I think can be done (LAP identifies things that have a more
> important effect when used on a laptop compared to the desktop):

You can change the 'pollution preventer'-logo at startup on
award-bioses. See instructions at:
http://geggus.net/sven/linux-bootlogo.html

I tried that on an old desktop-computer - not on my new laptop,
because it has an phoenix-bios and a vaio-splashscreen before.

> + use of software that connects and identifies itself?.

This is an nice idea - but only usefull, if the same setup is used by
the thief. I think, this is unprobable.
The laptop can send a mail with its real ip# if connected (mail with a
print of ifconfig started by /etc/ppp/ip-up or by a cronjob (if
connected at a company-network).

+ Use a coded filesystem - it protects at least the data and your
  privacy.

+ engrave your email on the cover and on every part like battery (i
  don't know, if engrave is the right english term, i mean drilling on
  the surface :-)

Aleks