Re: screen goes black

Russell Coker wrote:

It's a Thinkpad T20, the latest series from IBM, it's one of the fastest laptops on the market. It was previously working fine until I recompiled my kernel (with the same version and options as before). This machine outperforms most desktop machines that are being sold today, and for server type operations outperforms most Sun server machines.

hahaha, no it's not faster than most suns - a p3 @ 700Mhz is slower than a sparc @ 250Mhz, because x86 wastes so many clock cycles. Also sparc chips are multstreaming and can do many more operations per clock. =)

The symptoms (for the third time) are that the screen goes entirely blank but then anything which is re-drawn (for any reason) displays fine.

If you didn't change your X server or libs, then check your BIOS settings and make sure you're not using something that would lag refresh. It's also possible you enabled something foo in APM when you recompiled your kernel.

cheers,
Terry

| GooseEgg    http://gooseegg.sourceforge.net       |
| QuakeForge  http://www.quakeforge.net             |
| Personal    http://www.westga.edu/~stu7440        |
|      Death is running Debian GNU/Linux            |