Re: screen goes black

On Monday 18 December 2000 04:53, Thomas Vogels wrote:
> Russell Coker <russell@coker.com.au> writes:
> > It's a Thinkpad T20, the latest series from IBM, it's one of the fastest
> > laptops on the market.  It was previously working fine until I recompiled
> > my kernel (with the same version and options as before).  This machine
>
> hmm, you didn't turn on framebuffer devices by any chance?  by
> accident?

I have been running framebuffer exclusively since early 1999.  It wasn't an
accident.  ;)

> Can you switch vga modes?  What happens if you pick another vga mode
> (vga=ask in lilo.conf, then pick another video mode)?

There's only one mode I ever use.  I'll have to play with that though.

> If you reinstall/reboot into the old kernel, does the screen work as
> expected?

If I can find it...  I've had some problems with disk errors...

> Which X server do you use?  Have you tried SVGA instead of the
> accelerated server for S3?

Only fbdev.

> The "previously working fine" sounds suspicious -- is the kernel
> the only thing you've changed?  Eh, if it's the same version and
> options, why did you recompile?

I couldn't get it to build the modules without building a new kernel.  I had
a new pcmcia-source package and ipsec modules I wanted to build.

Thanks for the suggestions.