Modem sharing PCMCIA multifuctional card.

I'm trying to share my modem over my network, 2 machines over a crossover
cable. The modem is on my laptop as a multifunctional PCMCIA card. (Psion
Gold Card Netglobal 56K+10/100Mb CardBus)

I've setup IPCHAINS, both machines can talk over the network, initially both
machines can access the internet, but after 2-3mins my network hangs. I get
TX timeout errors.

I'm trying to rule out all causes, has anybody successfully shared a PCMCIA
modem (in a multifunctional card) over a network ?

Dell Inspiron 3500, PCMCIA 3.1.22, debian 2.2, kernel 2.2.17

Derm.