Re: potato, nfs, and pcmcia

On Wed, Dec 06, 2000 at 09:46:20AM -0800, Andrew Perrin wrote:
> Greetings. I am in the process of loading potato (2.2r0) from CD's onto a
> laptop. The machine currently has no OS, but in the past did run
> slink.  There is no CD-ROM drive, but to load slink I used the rescue/root
> floppies then NFSed the CD from another machine.
>
> Now when I do that, though, I don't get NFS as an option for the
> installation; furthermore, "Configure PCMCIA Devices" returns simply "an
> error occurred", and even if I use floppy-based base install I am never
> able to install pcmcia and therefore the network.
>
> Does anyone know what the problem might be?

When I did a similar thing to you and had the same problem,  I booted up
with the floppies and then pretended that I didn't need to configure
PCMCIA until I absolutely couldn't continue any further without it.  It
drove me nuts figuring this out, but fortunately it worked because I was
about 60 seconds from having to re-install win95 back on my laptop.