Advice needed on which new laptop to purchase...

Hey, folks!

I've been reading the list for quite some time, and have Debian Potato up and running on my Macintosh PowerBook G3 (I've been a Mac and UNIX guy since 1985). Your advice has been invaluable.

Now I'm going to take another plunge, and I'm looking for some advice.

I want to purchase a new notebook computer. I'm looking for it to be my main box, and I want to use Linux as my OS of choice.

Since this box won't have to run MacOS, I have a wide range of platforms to choose from. So here are my requirements:

I run all of the standard internet apps (web browser, ICQ, e-mail, news reader, etc.) as well as C++ IDE (Codewarrior is my choice for now), PERL, and Java. I play very few games, but do what I can. I also use the computer for word processing, spreadsheets, and graphics viewing and manipulation. The ability to hook up my Palm, Rocket e-Book and digital camera are also nice.

Physically, I'd like something super slim and light. I don't mind having the CD-ROM drive be an external device. I'd like to have the modem and ethernet built-in, though. The larger the screen size, the better, but I realize that I may be tied to the 12.1" TFT.

Oh, I'm willing to spend as much as $2500 or so.

So what are the suggestions out there from people who are successfully running LINUX on a box with these characteristics? I'd love to hear from you. And what accessories and configurations are recommended?

Thanks in advance for all of your thoughts,

Chris
--
The plan was simple.  Unfortunately, so was Bullwinkle.