386's and X and more

Actually (and this may be a bit off topic, but anyway), Debian 2.1 is
running just fine on the 386 laptop that I previously mentioned.  I get
out a book to read when I want to run dselect, but that isn't too bad, cuz
I've pretty much got it setup the way that I want it right now.  Only
problem will be adding X, which will be off of a 2x parallel-port Backpack
CD-ROM drive.

But it runs just fine.  I built a fairly minimal kernel for it though,
using 2.0.36.  Any ideas what would happen if I tried 2.2.14?  I know it
is faster in general, but will it work on this system... I would hope so.

anyway, Are there ideas for getting the system to suspend somehow?  It
doesn't have Power-management (to my knowledge anyway... I think it
pre-dates it), and battery life with the screen closed is over 3 hours
(since the screen is off, it sucks less power), but is there a way to do
some kind of quick power off and then quick start-up (I think this may
have been mentioned earlier), cuz when it boots cold it takes quite a
while.  Like a dump memory to disk or something utility.  I turn it off
and on quite a bit, since I carry it around, and can't leave it on all the
time, and would like to beable to start it up faster.

But it is wholly possible to get Debian 2.1 working on something like
this.  Just follow the low-memory instructions, and away you go! (and I
know you've got some spare old systems just sitting around to try it on

thanks for the help and web-sites though.

John Parejko
parejkoj@gridley.acns.carleton.edu
Student, Carleton College