Recent PPP connection problems

Help!

Somehow this morning I managed to completely toast my filesystem, and I've
spent the rest of the day attempting to reinstall debian... however I'm
running into a bit of a snag.  Everything installs okay, but the ppp link
is not working correctly; namely I can only seem to ping hosts on my isp's
domain, although I am able to lookup the addresses of hosts outside the
domain.

I looked through the PPP-HOWTO, FAQ, as well as several others, and as far
as I can tell things should be working.  I have "defaultroute" set in the
/ppp/options file, and pppd is setting it up on connection.  The routing
table when I'm connected looks (roughly) like this:

Destination           Gateway   Genmask          Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
ott-on-pm3.netcom.ca  *         255.255.255.255  UH    0      0   0   ppp0
localnet              *         255.0.0.0        U     0      0   1   lo
default            ott-on-pm3.n 0.0.0.0          UG    0      0   2   ppp0

Which seems okay.  The only other clues I have as to what's going wrong are
some syslog messages that I don't recall seeing before when connecting:

pppd: Cannot determine ethernet address for proxy ARP

and

kernel: Appletalk 0.17 for Linux NET3.035

Which seems odd simply because I don't have any ethernet or Appletalk
devices (AFAIK).  This is all happening on a Dell Latitude LM166ST laptop,
72MB RAM, using both a 3com xj4336 pcmcia modem and a Xircom REM56G-10
multi-function card.

Also, I'm attempting to install Debian 2.0, which is what I originally
installed on this computer.  I don't recall having to go through these kind
of hoops before... which is adding another level of absurdity to the whole
situation.  If anyone out there has any idea what the heck is going on and
preferably how to fix it, I would be forever in your debt.

Thanks,

MBG