Re: Laptop PPP/Ethernet

On Mon, 17 Apr 2000, Stephen A. Witt wrote:

> I've installed potato on a laptop and want it to be able to have a PCMCIA
> Ethernet connection and be capable of a direct PPP connection (without a
> modem). During the installation, I configured PCMCIA and then the
> network parameters for the Ethernet interface. I included PPP when
> configuring the drivers for the kernel. So I think I have everything in
> the kernel (or as modules) that I need.
>
> The Ethernet interface works fine. When trying to bring up the PPP
> connection logging in syslog indicates that the kernel is registering
> device ppp0. pppd is started fine, but then it says that pppd is
> connecting ppp8 to /dev/ttyS1. Then there is an error that says that
> modprobe can't locate module ppp8 and pppd fails.

I do a similar thing but with the parallel port (much faster if its at all
possible to use).  You will find everything you need in the PPP-HOWTO.  If
you don't have a copy go to www.linuxdoc.org or one of its mirrors and you
should find it there.  If you need any person to person help I can help,
however you will probably find all the experts you need lurking on this
list.

> I rebuilt the kernel yesterday and got PPP working with that kernel, but
> when I did that I managed to mess up the PCMCIA stuff (I don't have much
> experience with laptops) so I lost the Ethernet. Now I'm back to the
> potato distribution kernel.

when you play with _certain_ aspects of the kernel (networking stuff
usually and some bus handling code) you need to recompile the pcmcia
package also.  Get the source code for it and follow the instructions to
install it and everything should start to work.

--
**       ((__))   Alexander "Jim diGriz" Clouter