Running Alsa and Esound on an ESS1879 Chipset

Howdy all, and sorry for the cross post.

I have a Compaq Armada 7800 Laptop which according to the Compaq
Documentation runs a ESS1879 chipset(documentation below). I have
installed Alsa and Esound and alsaconf detects it as a Ess1688, I ok
this and it doesnt work, I then modify /etc/modutils/alsa to point it at
the correct module snd-card-es1866(alsaconf points it at
snd-card-audiodrive1688) and this also doesnt work, I can only get it to
work when I install it as a Sound Blaster Pro(snd-card-sb8) but then it
only runs sound at 1/2 speed. ie really slowly.

The same thing also happens without Alsa just using the sb.o out of the
2.2.14 kernel

Has anyone encountered this before and/or know what I should do?
Debian 2.2, Kernel 2.2.14.

Thanks,
Aaron

----- Start Compaq Docs -----
Audio Support
Armada 7400 and 7800 uses the ESS1879 sound chip. Both RedHat Linux 5.2
and SuSE6.0 include a driver, which will allow basic sound support. This
driver currently supports basic audio functionality under Linux;
therefore the extra features of the ESS1879 are not available. For
example, older Linux kernels included support only for the ESS688/1688,
which do not have full duplex, integrated 3D-audio, hardware volume
control, or a DSP port. Newer kernels include support for the ESS1878,
which differs from the ESS1879 in that the 1878 don?t have integrated
3D-audio. Also, the Armada notebooks include hardware volume control
handled by the system firmware. This volume control works under any OS
but audio drivers must be specially modified to provide feedback to
application programs that the volume has been adjusted. For example,
adjusting the volume using the hardware control will not be reflected in
the status of any audio mixer program. This is limitation also exists in
Win* unless the Compaq specific ESS driver is used. The hardware
resources used by the ESS chip can be read or changed using BIOS setup.
The defaults are ?base I/O= 0x220, IRQ= 5, DMA= 1, MPU401 I/O= 0x330?.
The kernel module sound driver RedHat uses is based on an older, free
Open Sound System (OSS) driver. SuSE comes without sound support
compiled in the kernel; instead SuSE provides two versions of the
commercial OSS driver. The commercial OSS driver is available from
www.4front-tech.com. In addition, ALSA, Advanced Linux Sound
Architecture is available at www.alsa-project.org.
-----End Compaq Docs -----