Re: mp3 use - laptop purchase

On Tue, 4 Apr 2000, Ben Messinger wrote:

> I need to purchase a laptop within the next two weeks. One of the most
> critical factors is superb sound support. One of the primary functions
> of my laptop will be to serve up mp3's through an ampliphied sound
> system at dances. I also am looking for a laptop with at least
> 1024x768x24bit resolution/color.
>
> Please let me know which laptops have sound working well under Linux. I
> am not so concerned with the quality of the speakers on the laptop, just
> the quality of the signal at the line-out jack. Thanks in advance!

I have been using my Toshiba Libretto almost exclusively for mp3s, and I
have been pleased with the sound quality, both with headphones and
amplified speakers (I blew out the internal speaker with Rammstein a
while back). The audio chip is a Yamaha OPL3-SA2, but I suspect
that any 16- or 32-bit chipset would be adequate. CD or MP3 encoding,
IIRC, cannot make use of more than 16 bits, so the difference is moot.

Overall, for straight 44100 khz, 16-bit stereo playback of wave-audio such
as mp3s, the difference  between low- and high-end audio hardware is
negligible. Your main limiter will be the quality of the connection
between the laptop and the amplifier, and the ability of the amplifier to
step-up the signal properly.

Ben