can't get get PCMCIA CD-ROM to mount during install.

Hi,
I'm in the middle of an install, and I can't get my external PCMCIA CD-ROM to mount. I'm installing the newest Slink on an IBM ThinkPad 755c, and the CD-ROM is an old EXP 940. I've configured PCMCIA with the CD-ROM, the light comes on and it opens and closes, but it won't mount when I go to install the base system. The modules listed don't really match my set-up, and I don't know how to get to the drivers, or know what to do with them when I do. Is there someplace I should be putting the I/O port and IRQ settings? Do I need to install the base system from floppies and configure the cd later? Or is there just something I missed in configuring PCMCIA?
I'm obviously learning as I go here. I'm new to laptops and debian so any (explicit) help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
--Marc