RE: ICMP Error Message?

On Thu, 06 Apr 2000, WENDT,DAVID (A-ColSprings,ex1) wrote:
>I have corrected my problem already, exactly as you stated.  I continued
>to do some investigation on my own and found that by setting the kernel
>parm 'icmp_ignore_bogus_error_response' to 1 at runtime, did the trick.
>I did this with the following command:
>
>	echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/icmp_ignore_bogus_error_response
>
>I then made the change to the source file in ..linux/net/ipv4/icmp.c,
>setting 'sysctl_icmp_ignore_bogus_error_responses' from 0 to 1, and
>recompiled my kernel.
>
>Thanks for confirming what I did.

The reason I included the snippet from the kernel source was to show where
the information came from (and how to discover similar information on other
problems).  I was not anticipating that you would recompile your network for
a broken network.
Putting the "echo 1" line in /etc/init.d/network (or whatever the equivalent
with the new netconfig scripts is) may be the best solution if you are unable
to actually fix the network errors.

--
My current location - X marks the spot.