Re: skipping fsck at boot?

On Wed, Feb 09, 2000 at 04:02:14PM +0900, sen_ml@eccosys.com wrote:
> i haven't had very good luck w/ suspend, unfortunately, and i've used
> a fair number of laptops.  i haven't actually used suspend w/ the
> current laptop i'm using, so may be i should try that though.

If you have problems with suspending (or resuming:-), use all the apm
options. When I didn't use CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_MULTIPLE_SUSPEND and/or
CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_SUSPEND_BOUNCE my laptop crashed on resume.

> for the suggestion.  (i have to wonder though...if i were to use
> suspend, would fsck get run often enough?  i don't really have a clue
> as to the answer.)

Interesting question. As servers with high uptimes rarely get a chance
to do fsck, i would guess it's safe. On the other hand, servers don't
get suspended too often...

> i tend to connect to a number of different networks, and it ends up
> being much easier to shutdown and reboot when i go from one network to
> another.

Hmm why? I have a bunch of /etc/apmd/network.opts.x files, and the only
thing I have to do is pull the card out, change /etc/apmd/networks.opts
to be a link to the appropriate file, and put the card back in. I don't
think much easier is possible.

> btw, out of curiosity, why do you mention "lucky enough not to run
> windows"?  is there some technical problem that prevents suspend from
> working well if windows is installed?

Hmm. The thing is, my laptop doesn't run windows. So I don't have to
reboot it to switch to windows either. And with suspend working
properly, there's just no reason for me to shutdown my laptop.  So I
don't have any problems with fsck on boot taking forever, I just open
the laptop and type. Does that explain why I'm lucky not to run windows?

Wouter...