Re: Lilo on dell 7500 - disk geom

On Tue, Feb 08, 2000 at 12:52:10PM -0800, Christian DeKonink wrote:
> OK I've been hearing that flame recently, maybe I'll take listen to it
> more.
>
> The problem is that my disk geometry is set to 240 heads 63 sectors and
> 1299 cylinders. I would rather not change this manually.
>
> My swap part starts at 566 and ends at 601.
> My linux partition starts at cylinder 602 and ends at 1299.
> I guess that the boot block was installed at some point beyond the
> 1024th cylinder.
>
> Is that what's happening?

well, kind of. IIRC LILO cannot boot from partition that either begins or
ends after 1024 cyl. That's what i'd read somewhere.. I'm not an expert :-)

> During installation I was asked if i wanted to create a Linux FS at the
> beginning of the free space or at the end. By choosing install at the
> end I was able to make the partition larger. Is this because by
> installing at the beginning of the free space it could only use up to
> 1024 cylinders?

I assume you have some important stuff before 566cyl. that you do not want
to touch.
There is a workaround. Make the partitions look like this:
a small (30 megs. would be sufficient, i think) '/' partition only for
booting and then swap and /usr partitions, in any order. (you can make /home
a symlink to /usr/home)

regards
Marcin

--