Re: EtherExpress Pro fails on 100baseTx

On Tue, 1 Feb 2000, John Lapeyre wrote:

>  ( Sorry about the poor quoting. I am reading web
> archives of the lists and cutting and pasting)
>   (please CC me)

Well, I have to survive on a daily basis emails sent to me by management
types using Outlook, so this mail looks fine to me :)

>   I still can't get the laptop to communicate with the
> DFE 530 Tx (uses via-rhine), except when they are set
> to 10baseT. Perhaps it is a problem with the via-rhine driver.
> (I tried several versions of the driver).
>    tcpdump shows that, for instance, the laptop will send
> and receive packets at 100baseT, but the via-rhine card will
> only send and not recieve.  The debugging option shows that
> the netdev_rx routine in via-rhine.c is never entered, so
> presumably the interrupt status register is not being set or
> read correctly. (but the light on the via-rhine card flashes).

Does that via-rhine card communicate correctly with other NIC's, and is it
tested with different network cables (CAT5 or better) and decent
HUBs/switches ??

> >Well, rememeber that a 16 bit PCMCIA bus can be compared with ISA
> >speeds... and that's just enough to handle 10base networks.
>   I didn't know it was that bad.

Well, I don't have any exact data, but it's about the same level.

> > You do know that using Full Duplex with a HUB isn't going to work ??
>   No, I didn't.  But it has been  failing with a crossover cable,
> as well.  But I wonder if there is more than one way to build a cable
> or if this one is defective.  I only paid attention to anything to do
> with network hardware very recently.

A crossover cable should work at FD, but I haven't tested that much with
crossover cables myself.

--
Tot ziens,

Bart-Jan