Re: EtherExpress Pro fails on 100baseTx

 ( Sorry about the poor quoting. I am reading web
archives of the lists and cutting and pasting)
  (please CC me)

  Perhaps this is not a laptop problem.  I finally got
a bit better sustained rate between the laptop and
the rtl8139 card.  I got 1.3 MB/s, which is some improvement.
Perhaps the 16 bit bus and crappy rtl design are responsible
for the small amount of improvment (but it's something).
One problem was that poking the register on the rtl card
 with "mii-diag -F" apparantly works;
 but afterwards, "mii-diag -v" reports that
I am still advertising all capabilities.
  I still can't get the laptop to communicate with the
DFE 530 Tx (uses via-rhine), except when they are set
to 10baseT. Perhaps it is a problem with the via-rhine driver.
(I tried several versions of the driver).
   tcpdump shows that, for instance, the laptop will send
and receive packets at 100baseT, but the via-rhine card will
only send and not recieve.  The debugging option shows that
the netdev_rx routine in via-rhine.c is never entered, so
presumably the interrupt status register is not being set or
read correctly. (but the light on the via-rhine card flashes).

Bart-Jan Vrielink <bartjan@vrielink.net> wrote
 >  Mine uses the xircom driver
 yes, mine uses xirc2ps_cs .

>Well, rememeber that a 16 bit PCMCIA bus can be compared with ISA
>speeds... and that's just enough to handle 10base networks.
  I didn't know it was that bad.

> You do know that using Full Duplex with a HUB isn't going to work ??
  No, I didn't.  But it has been  failing with a crossover cable,
as well.  But I wonder if there is more than one way to build a cable
or if this one is defective.  I only paid attention to anything to do
with network hardware very recently.

--
John Lapeyre <lapeyre@physics.arizona.edu>,  lapeyre@debian.org