Re: Remapping Keyboard Keys

> (Sortof on-list-topic)
>
> Last October, I had the misfortune to spill my coca-cola ...
> ... eventually shorted out the left-most keys on the board.
>
> I was wondering if there was any way to remap the keys affected by the
> cola-spill to working, but unused keys on the right-hand side.  I am able
> to remap the keys in X, but I have no clue where to begin working to
> alleviate the console situation.

What you're looking for is keymaps.  I learned about it when reading about
/etc/inittab and trying to figure out how to awaken using that "kbrequest"
feature.

Anyways I suppose you can do something weird like turn one of the still
working middle keys into a shifter, and use it to shift all the keys by 5
or 6 positions.  I hope your spacebar still works.  Your keymap file is
going to end up a lot longer than normal :)

> BTW, if anybody has a connection to buy replacement Toshiba keyboards,
> let me know.  I would be very grateful.

Sorry, I dunno.  I always wished that some enterprising manufacturer would
make it easy to change a laptop keyboard (like, so we can get layouts we
like, instead of having to decide: we like the video and the sound support,
nope the keyboard sucks, let's try another one.

* Heather