Re: Upgrading pcmcia modules with self-built kernel

On Fri, 28 Jan 2000, Heather wrote:

> > Everytime I do an apt-get dist-upgrade, Debian tries to upgrade
> > pcmcia-modules-2.2.x, unless I put it on hold. I don't want to upgrade
> > pcmcia-modules, because it needs to match a specific build of the kernel.
> >
> > The package kernel-package suggests to set the Debian version to a very
> > high value when building the kernel-image packages yourself. This won't
> > work for the pcmcia-modules package, because there also the upstream
> > package version changes.
> >
> > Isn't it possible to solve this problem by having two versions of
> > pcmcia-modules-2.2.x, a -generic one, and a -custom one. Both provide
> > pcmcia-modules-2.2.x. kernel-image-2.2.x should then be provided by
> > two packages, a -generic one and a -custom one. This gives:
> >
> [package/depends list snipped]
> >
> > The packages kernel-source-2.2.x and pcmcia-source should build the
> > -custom packages. I don't know if that's possible to combine with the
> > maintainers using those packages to build the -generic packages.
> >
> > Do you think this is a sollution for this problem, or is it solvable in
> > another way ?

> When making your kernel from source, first you get your options settled in
> (make menuconfig or xconfig), but before running make, adjust the Makefile
> that results, there is an extra variable.  I used this on my laptop to
> create an x.y.z-HGS version, so that's where my personally compiled modules
> went too.
>
> In my case it was overkill (I was cooking a 2.3.x kernel anyway) but this
> is the same way that Mandrake sneaks in mdk to their kernel name, and how
> RedHat puts an additional number on the end.  I also tweaked lilo.conf so
> it's willing to boot off either the "normal" sequence, or my kernel,
> and defaulting to mine which isn't going to change out from under it as
> often.
>
> I think the extra variable is EXTRAVERSION but I'm not sure; I'm sitting in
> front of a different system at the moment.

Well, it's not the kernel version that's the problem, it's dpkg that
(correctly) considers the pcmcia maintainer's build of
pcmcia-modules-2.2.x more recent than my own build. This breaks my system,
because pcmcia-modules and kernel-image need to match.

I use kernel-package to build the kernel, so EXTRAVERSION is pointless in
this context.
Currently my laptop has pcmcia-modules-2.2.13 version 3.1.5-1+laptop.2,
but the official Debian version is at least 3.1.8-4, so dpkg wants to
install that version if I didn't put it on hold.

--
Tot ziens,

Bart-Jan