Problems with pcmcia on potato (on Dell Latitude)

I'm trying to install potato on my new Dell.  Not having a CD, I'm
trying to use the ftp method and am keeping the bootstrap packages on
a 'Dows partition.  I've been running slink on an HP laptop for over a
year, but this is my first experience with potato -- which I think I
need because my xircom ethernet pcmcia card is too new for the slink
pcmcia-cs packages.

Anyway, the install is failing at the point where I configure PCMCIA.
I get an error message about not finding something in /lib/modules/2.2.13.
It's failing only in that pcmcia won't work; I can complete the install
up to the point where I need access to the net.

If I reboot the machine and poke around, I find that I can install the
base pcmcia_root (or *_base or *_core?  -- I'm back to running 'Dows
in order to send email and don't remember) but that trying to install
any other module in ./pcmcia fails because of unresolved symbols.  If
I understand depmod correctly, they all depend on ds.o, and when I try
to ismod this I get "no socket driver installed!"

Two questions:

1) What went wrong with configuring pcmcia support in the install?

2) What do I do to get the socket driver installed?  I don't remember
any install options having to do with sockets.

Thanks!

--Eric House

PS This laptop was able to get online running slink using an older 3com
card: I've done this correctly at least once.

* From the desktop of: Eric House, fixin@peak.org                            *
*     Check out Crosswords for PalmOS: <http://www.peak.org/~fixin/xwords>   *
*          "The instructions said 'Win98 or better' -- so I installed Linux" *