Sound on IBM Thinkpad 390E

Hello to the list,
	I am trying to get sound to work on my IBM Thinkpad 390E running
Debian 2.1.  I have been unable to get sound to work until very recently.
I was told that I could type the following, as root,  upon bootup, to make
sound work:

insmod soundcore
insmod esssolo1
mixctrl 7 0
mixctrl 0 100
mixctrl 4 100

I was able to type the first two lines and this dig get sound running --
but it sounds like chipmunks talking.  I assume that the next three
commands will slow the speed down.  When I try to type the last three
lines, I get the following:

bash: mixctrl: command not found

I searched the debian website and found no reference to the command
mixctrl.  Can someone tell me what program I need to have running for
Debian to recognize this command?

Thanks,
Bryan Walton