Re: Problems with pcmcia on potato (on Dell Latitude)

On Wed, Jan 26, 2000 at 04:21:03PM -0800, Eric House wrote:
> Two questions:
>
> 1) What went wrong with configuring pcmcia support in the install?
>
> 2) What do I do to get the socket driver installed?  I don't remember
> any install options having to do with sockets.

2) will presumeably be fixed when 1) is.

The problem, as far as I can see, is that your pcmcia modules are mismatched
to your kernel.  Have you compiled your own kernel?  In that case it is
mandatory that you also compile your own pcmcia-modules package.

An easier way might be to just download the standard debian kernel-image and
pcmcia-modules (and pcmcia-cs), for both slink and potato to be on the safe
side, install them by hand (the slink version, presumeably), and then
`apt-get dist-upgrade` from slink should do the rest to land you in potato.

By the way, I have a Xircom RealPort 16bit modem/ethernet card, and it was
working fine under slink.  Have you a cardbus card?  It would imagine it
should still work under slink, just sounds like your pcmcia modules are
mixed up.

Drew