Re: Shutdown causes time loss on a Toshiba Tecra 8000

Mark Phillips wrote:

> There seems to be only one debian package: apmd.  apm is included in
> the apmd package.  And this package is already installed.  Any further
> ideas?

Hmm....

Check to make sure that /etc/apm/event.d/00hwclock is installed, and
that it looks reasonable.  Make sure that the hwclock program is
installed (although I believe that this is required on a Debian x86
system).  And, perhaps most important of all, make sure that apm support
is enabled in the kernel (try "cat /proc/apm" to see).

Some people have mentioned that they needed to pass "apm=on" to the
kernel at boot time to enable kernel apm support.  If you (or your
friend) is using lilo, then this can probably be accomplished by adding:

  append="apm=on"

to /etc/lilo.conf, and re-running lilo.  Warning: I haven't tried this,
since my custom-built kernel seems to provide apm support without this.

If none of that helps, then I may have to confess myself stumped.

HTH,
Chris