Re: Upgrading pcmcia-* breaks ppp

On Sun, Jan 16, 2000 at 08:19:38PM -0500, Damir J. Naden wrote:
> Hi Christopher S. Swingley; unless Mutt is confused, you wrote:
> >
> > What did you change the irq to, and how?  I tried to do this by
> > excluding IRQ's in the PCMCIA config.opts file but each time it
> > still failed, until finally there were no IRQ's left and the
> > serial module wouldn't load.
> >

> I _have_ to do the following (thinkpad380xd, xircom creditcard modem
> 56k, potato home-compiled 2.2.13 w. 3.1.8 pcmcia): after computer is
> running, edit the file /etc/pcmcia/serial.opts and put in the
> SER_OPTS line irq 3; restart the pcmcia by restarting init.d/pcmcia
> - this is where the modem is slow if I try to use it, so I do not-
> go _back_ into the serial.opts file and _remove_ irq 3 to empty ""
> (just as it was originally), restart the services and, voila, all
> works fine. This happens when I don't link the ttyS2 (wher the card
> is detected to the /dev/modem, as it does with the link on. The
> other poster has suggested removing setserial; is there anything bad
> that can result from it (i.e. what does setserial do on a laptop)?
> This is getting to be pretty annoying procedure, now that even the
> sound is working flawlessly...

I think I may be having the exact same problem, and it started
happening when I upgraded to 3.1.8.  However, I got it to work by
using

setserial /dev/modem irq 0
setserial /dev/modem irq 3

No pcmcia restarts required.  The card keeps working through suspends,
however if it is removed or the computer is restarted I have to issue
the above commands again.  I have told Dave Hinds about this problem
and he said he's heard of incidents like this but can't figure out
what's wrong.

I'm using a Dell Latitude LM166ST, with a Megahertz XJ4556 33.6 modem.
Are you getting strange messages from modprobe when you attempt to
bring up a ppp connection?  I always get some nonsense about not being
able to find char-major-108, even though I have ppp support compiled
into the kernel (not a module).  Also, occasionally with this hack I
get flaky connections, I can dial in but it hangs before getting an IP
address.  Is this situation similar to yours?

MBG

--
   Matthew Guenther                      Nonsense.  Space is blue and birds
   mguenther@netcom.ca                   fly through it.