Re: Upgrading pcmcia-* breaks ppp

Hi Christopher S. Swingley; unless Mutt is confused, you wrote:

> What did you change the irq to, and how?  I tried to do this by excluding
> IRQ's in the PCMCIA config.opts file but each time it still failed, until
> finally there were no IRQ's left and the serial module wouldn't load.

I _have_ to do the following (thinkpad380xd, xircom creditcard modem
56k, potato home-compiled 2.2.13 w. 3.1.8 pcmcia):
after computer is running, edit the file /etc/pcmcia/serial.opts and put
in the SER_OPTS line irq 3; restart the pcmcia by restarting
init.d/pcmcia - this is where the modem is slow if I try to use it, so I
do not- go _back_ into the serial.opts file and _remove_ irq 3 to empty
"" (just as it was originally), restart the services and, voila,
all works fine. This happens when I don't link the ttyS2 (wher the card
is detected to the /dev/modem, as it does with the link on. The other
poster has suggested removing setserial; is there anything bad that can
result from it (i.e. what does setserial do on a laptop)?
This is getting to be pretty annoying procedure, now that even the sound
is working flawlesly...
HTH,
damir