PCMCIA MODEM PROBLEMS

Hi all, I've been watching this list since I've bought a Mitac 6133 laptop
two months ago, when I installed Slink together with win98. I experience a
strange problem with my PCMCIA modem. The connection goes really nice, I can
surf the web and download stuff, but when I try to send an email with an
attachment bigger than 10K, my modem seems to become dumb, in the sense that
it doesn't receive LCP ack anymore, but it continues to send request to the
ISP. I'm not able to ping any host, and netstat just doesn't show nothing until
i put down the connection issuing "poff" for three times.
I'm sure it isn't an hardware problem because win98 really goes fine sending
email a lot bigger than 10k.

Thanks in advance,

Andrea Ceccanti.