use slink or potatoe for installation?

hi there,

first of all, thanks to all debian-developers here! my first
impression of debian is a much better one than that i had with
the other distros.

but i got a question for u regarding the installation of debian
on a sony vaio n505x (that's a european model only, i guess i do
not need to mention that this is a laptop ;-). as i do not have
an debian-cd's i decided to make an ftp-install. first i
installed the potatoe-base-system from a vfat-partition (no
comment ;-) which i think went fine. but then i had some troubles
with connecting to a local debian-ftp-mirror. i guess there are 3
possibilities for this:

- problems with my pcmcia-ethernet-card (accton en2216-2-1
10mbit)
- problems with routing
- i did not know what url (including path to .. on the
ftp-mirror?) to type in exactly

1st one could be a problem (could not check it really as i was in
a hurry, but honestly i do not know how to ensure that it
*really* works anyway). if anybody successfully installed potatoe
via ftp using such an ethernet-card, please drop a line. 2nd one
actually should not be an issue as i am sure, that i typed in the
correct ip's for the gateway etc. (and the latter is known to be
configured correctly). with the 3rd i would appreciate if anybody
could tell me what kind of url the installer exactly expects at
this point...

i thought that perhaps it would have been better to install slink
first and update to potatoe later (i really want to use potatoe
as there are some rather new features on my notebook i'd like to
use [later perhaps], such as usb-floppy-drive and interface,
fire-wire-port, acpi, suspend2disk, rather new graphic-card, ...)
but on the other hand i was not sure whether there is already
support for my pcmcia-ethernet-card on slink during the
installation.

naturally i already took a glance at "linux-on-laptops", but
there were not any installation-reports for debian for this
model.

thus, if i will succeed to install debian on it, i will write
down some instructions to publish on the web (under gpl, sure)

thanks 4 your help

daniel

Daniel Mettler                              mettlerd@icu.unizh.ch

-----{ bits do not byte - http://www.icu.unizh.ch/~mettlerd }----