Re: Thank you!

Vasanth Rakasi <v_rakasi@yahoo.com> writes:

> 1) Running X on a TP with a Pentium 75MHz/100MHz even
> with 16MB/24MB is not really an efficient way of using
> time.

Should work fine as long as you avoid memory hogs like KDE/Gnome and
Netscape.

> 3) KDE is better on low-powered, memory-starved
> systems than GNOME.

That's like saying that GNU emacs is less bloated than XEmacs.  It may
be true, but the vi users are still going to laugh at you.  :-)

I recommend fvwm; it uses less memory than twm/vtwm/wmaker/blackbox,
but has a lot more power and flexibility than lwm/9wm.  Basically, it
stands out as one of the optima on the power/size curve.  Plus, it's
still very well supported (much more so than twm/vtwm).

> 4) It is better to use a working XF86Config file from
> somebody else than configuring the server on your
> own--moreso, when you do not know what kind of
> hardware you have.

Yes, laptops seem to fall into a whole separate category when it comes
to creating XF86Config -- I know what kind of hardware I have *and*
I'm relatively fluent with XF86Config, and I *still* had to find a
working one on the net before I could get X to work acceptably on my
laptop.

cheers