Re: > 64Meg RAM question

On Fri, Jan 07, 2000 at 12:09:43PM -0800, William Heindl wrote:

> I am running slink on an IBM 560Z with 128Meg of RAM.  Only 64Meg are
> being seen (as evidenced from doing "dmesg").  Now, I have seen in
> various HOWTOs that this is expected, and the solution is to build the
> kernel with "newmem" set.  However, I'm puzzled.  Two guys at my
> office built their systems using the same set of floppies and they see all
> 128Meg in their machines without doing anything special.  The
> difference seems to be that they are not using laptops.  Is this
> something peculiar to the laptop version of the Pentium II?  Is there
> step by step documentation somewhere to help me through the kernel
> build required for this fix?

I think this is not laptop specific. For Linux kernel versions 2.0.x you
need to enter "mem=128M" at the lilo boot prompt, or to put `append
"mem=128M"' (or however many megs of RAM you have) in your
/etc/lilo.conf file in the stanza that contains your Linux bootable
setup; see 'man lilo' for more information about this.

You don't need this with more recent kernels (>2.2.x); maybe the guys at
your office are using this.

Hope this help...

--
David